On August 29, 2017, Canon announced a new lens “Canon EF 85MM F/1.4L IS USM” to be added to the list of prime lenses, for me Sigma 50mm F/1.4 was the best portrait lens between the 50mm lens groups, in the 85mm group the Canon 85mm F/1.2 ii USM is the king, so we are so excited to see how the 85mm F/1.4 will perform, below is the specifications of the new lens.
Canon EF 85MM F/1.4L IS USM Specifications:
Canon EF 85MM F/1.4L IS USM Specifications
|General Specification||Canon EF 85MM F/1.4L IS USM|
|Camera Mount Type||Canon EF|
|Format Comitability||35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor|
|Angle of View||28° 30'|
|Minimum Focus Distance||2.79'; (85 cm)|
|Diaphragm Blades||9, Rounded|
|Actual Weight||2.09 lbs (949.7 g)|
|Filter Thread||Front: 77 mm|
|Lens Hood Included?||No lens hood is incorporated with the lens.|
|Case Included?||No case is incorporated into this kit.|
The new Canon EF 85MM F/1.4L IS USM estimated time to be available is on Nov-2017 on a price of $1,599, as announced by Canon that this lens should deliver sharp images full of contrast and color with razor sharp detail, ideal for high-resolution sensors. Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps suppress internal ghosting and flare while a large f/1.4 aperture produces a shallow depth of field.
- This portrait-length L-series prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however, can also be used with APS-C models where it will provide a 136mm equivalent focal length.
- Notably fast f/1.4 maximum aperture offers extensive control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques. This bright design also benefits working in low-light conditions.
- One glass-molded aspherical element helps to reduce distortion and spherical aberrations for improved sharpness and clarity.
- An Air Sphere Coating (ASC) has been applied to lens elements to reduce backlit flaring and ghosting for maintained light transmission and high contrast in strong lighting conditions.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with optimized AF algorithms, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and near-silent autofocus performance.
- Optical image stabilization minimizes the effects of camera shake by compensating for up to four stops of shutter speed.
- Full-time manual focus operation is available for fine-tuning of your focus position when working in the AF mode.
- A weather-resistant design protects the lens from dust and moisture to enable its use in inclement conditions.
- Nine rounded diaphragm blades contribute to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
Walk through the below video for more info.
You can pre-order the Canon EF 85MM F/1.4L IS USM from Here.